Depending on your situation, group therapy can be an ideal choice for addressing your concerns and making positive changes in your life. Groups usually consist of one clinician and roughly three to twelve participants. We typically meet once a week for one to two and a half hours, depending on your group.
Many groups are designed to address a specific area, such as social skills, ADHD, anxiety, and depression. Others are based on a particular treatment modality, including Dialectical Behavior Therapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
Unlike individual therapy sessions, groups provide you with the unique opportunity to interact with peers in a safe, supportive environment.
Benefits of Group Therapy
Group therapy can seem intimidating at first. But it can offer benefits that individual therapy may not. There are countless advantages to participating in group therapy:
- Feedback: Gaining perspectives from the therapist and peers is helpful in promoting growth and change.
- Observation: Seeing others handling situations provides opportunities to add new coping skills to your life.
- Socialization: Even if this isn’t the focus of the group, interacting with others fosters more effective and clear communication skills.
- Perspective: Regularly sharing and listening to others helps you put your own problems in perspective.
- Relief: Meeting new people and sharing your experiences helps you realize you are not alone in your situation.
- Support and Encouragement: Through sharing freely with the other group members, you’re able to gain support and encouragement from people in similar situations. You’ll feel supported, and your fellow group members will help hold you accountable for meeting goals and making strides. Not only will you receive support, you will be able to give support to others as they go through similar experiences.
- Diversity: Groups consist of individuals of different personalities, backgrounds, and perspectives. Meeting with a diverse group of people provides new strategies to acquire.
Video Counseling for Groups
Online group counseling is easy and convenient! Design your life from your own comfort zone, allowing you to focus and accomplish more during your sessions. You’ll save time on traveling, and on finding an office near you. You won’t have to worry about running into someone you know, or sitting in a waiting room.
Online group counseling provides greater anonymity, allowing for a deeper, quicker interpersonal exchange than you may experience in a face-to-face group. This comfort reinforces a sense of safety, and you may find it easier to share your story with your peers.
Our online groups are held over HIPAA-compliant software with the option to show your face. Audio is required.